Author Topic: Young Living Essential Oils New Age Pyramid Scheme  (Read 3640 times)

Willow

• Administrator
  • Anarchist Astro-Reporter
    • View Profile
    • Willow's Web Astrology
Young Living Essential Oils New Age Pyramid Scheme
« on: October 12, 2013, 10:31:54 AM »
I don't know if anyone has heard of these - quite likely. They seem to be quite popular. 

There is a new craze about in my area - Young Living Essential Oils.

I knew from the get-go that this was a New Age pyramid scheme - albeit a "legal" one - because people get sooooo very hyped, blissed, and excited about these oils, and they just have to tell others about them. Your standard New Age "spreading of the word."

The thing is - the oils are lovely. Very high quality. And they work for various health ailments.

The other thing is - they're very pricey. Too pricey, in my mind.

And of course they're pricey. Because they have a big, old pyramid scheme to support. The prices are jacked up just for that reason.

This is one of those things where you sign people up under you, and then you are paid every time they place an order (as long as you have purchased products yourself that month).

Let's just say - the people at the top of this pyramid are making off like absolute bandits. I don't doubt they are all millionaires. Probably multi-millionaires.

But the thing is, for me, even a legal pyramid scheme selling products like this one is not, ultimately, ethical. And for that reason, I've never been able to sign up as a member, even though I do like some of the products. The idea of climbing aboard this particular pyramid (or any pyramid) gives me the heebie jeebies.

This scheme also uses that standard New Age technique where some people are "in the know" and some people aren't. So you have a bunch of mostly ladies who have expendable income at their disposal, who buy these oils and tout them as miraculous cure-alls. It creates this group of yuppie "bohemians" who think they are really onto something.

But the truth is, if a "health solution" involves shelling out hundreds or thousands of dollars, it's not a real solution at this time. There are 45 million Americans on food stamps right now. They need help just putting food on their tables. They are not going to have a few hundred to get started on their way up the pyramid. And honestly, neither do I.

If these are such a miracle for health, why are they not more accessible to people of different income levels? Why are these products kept locked up in this pyramid?

Well, because New Age is all about being accessible only to the "true believers," the unenlightened be damned. And the true believers are mostly middle and upper-middle class. People with money.

It's not about helping the people who really need help. It's about creating a Neptunian Band-Aid solution so the middle and upper-middle classes don't have to bother themselves with what's really going on.

Essential oils are lovely, but they've always seemed like a masker to me, treating symptoms rather than the root causes of health disturbance.

And all these yuppie Mamas can look the other way as long as they have their miracle oil supply.

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth, I have to say. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 10:39:08 AM by Willow »
The keyboard is mightier than the sword.

TheCrabOfWar

• View Profile
Re: Young Living Essential Oils New Age Pyramid Scheme
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 05:53:11 PM »
These schemes that cater to women really seem to tap into that subtle high school mentality of being one of the popular girls, albeit with a new age angle.  (I've seen this in my area albeit in a slightly different context.) Makes me glad to be a guy as at least our methods of pushing each other around are usually pretty overt.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 06:01:14 PM by TheCrabOfWar »
Cancer Sun, Aries Moon: The Crab of War

Willow

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Willow's Web Astrology
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 10:16:03 AM »
These schemes that cater to women really seem to tap into that subtle high school mentality of being one of the popular girls, albeit with a new age angle.

Oh, absolutely! New Age plays on all the worst qualities of humanity and makes it all "enlightened."

The cliqueiness is something I noticed right off the jump, back in "The Secret" furor days. There's always a dividing line between those who are "in the know," who are advanced, who are beyond everyone else, who are included...and then those who aren't.

And women play into that so well, being trained since babies to compete with each other and one-up each other constantly.

Lo

• NOW- Everything and Everybody is a Business Model
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 10:40:49 AM »
I like these oils - but yes - so very pricey. Try and get wholesale and still very pricey. Thieves - Peace and Calming - Valor typically the 3 I've used. Raindrop therapy is good but I can't quite grasp the claims made about it.
When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.

― Cree Prophecy

Ruth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 11:57:18 PM »
I like these oils - but yes - so very pricey. Try and get wholesale and still very pricey. Thieves - Peace and Calming - Valor typically the 3 I've used. Raindrop therapy is good but I can't quite grasp the claims made about it.

If you look at the ingredients - are they listed on the product?  Then you can mix your own as well as doing your own research into essential oils.  I think it is called aromatherapy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aromatherapy
There is a lot of info on the net about it.  And even courses for those people are interested.  As far as raindrop therapy is concerned.  Well..

"Raindrop Technique? combines the art of aromatherapy with the techniques of Vita Flex and massage in the application of essential oils to various areas of the body. This collection provides a revolutionary means of bringing balance and harmony to the body - physically, mentally, and emotionally.

Contains: Seven Single Oils (5ml bottles): Thyme, Basil, Peppermint, Oregano, Wintergreen, Cypress and Marjoram. Two Oil Blends (5ml bottles): Valor? & Aroma Seiz?. Also contains one 4-oz. bottle of Ortho Ease? Aromatherapy Massage Oil and one 4-oz. V-6? Enhanced Vegetable Oil Complex.

The Raindrop collection also includes an instructional DVD that will teach you how to perform the Raindrop Technique? on others.
"  blah, blah, blah, send us the money, sigh...   :(

I have a better idea, check out this space:
http://eiriu-eolas.org/
And then - just do what you want. The World's the limit.
"The truth will set you free" John 8.32...and yet  "You can't handle the truth" Col Nathan Jessup (A Few Good Men).  Why the disparity?

Uranian Mane

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 01:57:26 PM »
Neptunian ban-aids. So true. Your really helping me decipher this New Age Terminology.
With my mercury in Pisces, its hard for me to decipher how money works.

Even though my response may not translate to me sounding like I got it. Trust me, I so did. 
Willow's Web is mightier than the combined Astrological Blogosphere.

=)

Willow

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Willow's Web Astrology
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 03:15:15 PM »
I should say, there's nothing inherently wrong with Neptunian Band-Aids - as long as you understand that that's what they are.

In other words, these oils don't exactly address the underlying roots of pain, illness, and dysfunction. They don't address what's making people sick. They just support people to get through it and feel better.

And, of course, they support the people who can afford them.

Unfortunately, it creates this idea amongst the people who use them that they've found this miraculous cure-all. And the next (New Agey) step is that only people who are evolved enough or enlightened enough or open enough find this miraculous cure. So they're special!  :D

I think it also has to do with the forced separation between humans and nature. People don't smell pine trees or orange groves or even fresh air anymore. So these oils are like bottled nature, and that's why people love them so much. The underlying thing, of course, is that it's unhealthy for people to be so disconnected to nature, plants, water, fresh air, etc. So it's a systemic failure, a failure of the organization of human society. But these oils sort of give you a next best thing.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 03:23:27 PM by Willow »

TheCrabOfWar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 07:41:59 PM »
I should say, there's nothing inherently wrong with Neptunian Band-Aids - as long as you understand that that's what they are.

In other words, these oils don't exactly address the underlying roots of pain, illness, and dysfunction. They don't address what's making people sick. They just support people to get through it and feel better.

And, of course, they support the people who can afford them.

Unfortunately, it creates this idea amongst the people who use them that they've found this miraculous cure-all. And the next (New Agey) step is that only people who are evolved enough or enlightened enough or open enough find this miraculous cure. So they're special!  :D

I think it also has to do with the forced separation between humans and nature. People don't smell pine trees or orange groves or even fresh air anymore. So these oils are like bottled nature, and that's why people love them so much. The underlying thing, of course, is that it's unhealthy for people to be so disconnected to nature, plants, water, fresh air, etc. So it's a systemic failure, a failure of the organization of human society. But these oils sort of give you a next best thing.

That was exceptionally well put.

Cancer Sun, Aries Moon: The Crab of War

Willow

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Willow's Web Astrology
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 07:49:47 PM »
Why, thank-you, Crab.